NWSL’s $120 Million Decision That Leaves Out Caitlin Clark
By Parker Johnson | Athlon Sports | Updated December 17, 2024, 4:56 PM

Indiana Fever guard Caitlin Clark lent her star power to a bid for an expansion team in the National Women’s Soccer League (NWSL), but the league appears to be pursuing a more lucrative option elsewhere. According to Sportico, the NWSL has entered exclusive negotiations with a Denver-based group for its 16th franchise. The expansion fee is expected to be between $105 million and $120 million, according to sources, far surpassing the previous record of $53 million set by recent expansion teams Bay FC and Boston.

Before the NWSL Championship in November, commissioner Jessica Berman announced that the league had narrowed its expansion search to three finalists: Denver, Cleveland, and Clark’s Cincinnati-based group. The WNBA star partnered with FC Cincinnati’s ownership to strengthen the Cincinnati bid, which included shared use of FC Cincinnati’s modern TQL Stadium and $5 million earmarked for a dedicated women’s team training facility.

“She wants to win and see this happen,” FC Cincinnati co-CEO Jeff Berding told The Athletic about Clark’s involvement. “She’s 100 miles away with her Indianapolis-based WNBA team and will have a great opportunity to be involved in a meaningful way.”

Clark, one of the top 10 highest-paid female athletes in 2024, brought significant credibility to Cincinnati’s bid in the eyes of the NWSL. “Having her interest in the NWSL is an honor,” Berman said last month. However, even her influence couldn’t compete with the Denver group’s substantial financial offer. Fans on social media were quick to criticize the league’s decision, calling it a missed opportunity given Cincinnati’s established fan base, state-of-the-art stadium, and Clark’s involvement.

Known as For Denver FC, the Denver ownership group is led by IMA Financial Group CEO Robert Cohen, who is providing a large portion of the funding and would serve as the team’s controlling owner. Other members include former Obama administration official Ben Hubbard, sports business executive Tom Dunmore, Phos CEO Nicole Glaros, and former NWSL player Jordan Angeli.